Mission of the Wiess School of Natural Sciences
The Wiess School of Natural Sciences comprises a focused and dynamic community of scholars that:
- Generates scientific, mathematical, and technical knowledge that is at the forefront of inquiry, that defines the frontiers of human understanding of the natural world, and that gives rise to beneficial applications;
- Educates and inspires new generations of scientific leaders and scientifically literate citizens that contribute to the well-being of humankind;
- Innovates in research and education within disciplines and explores across disciplinary boundaries to identify unknown linkages and connections.
The Wiess School of Natural Sciences aspires to internationally recognized leadership in key research areas across the full range of Natural Sciences; outstanding, rigorous, and creative educational programs integrated with our research mission at all levels; and a reputation that reflects the high quality of our research and educational programs.
These aspirations demand first rank faculty, staff, and students; creative and effective use of our resources; success in our research mission; innovative teaching and mentoring; state-of-the-art infrastructure; and highly visible impact, including engagement with the community-at-large.
- Support and sustain a culture of achievement
- Demand excellence in our research and education programs
- Ensure that our disciplinary strengths are widely known and are utilized to craft bold, new initiatives in emerging areas